To mark our 70th anniversary, Stewart's Shops is announcing plans to rebuild our inaugural shop located on Church Avenue, in the town of Ballston.
This location is the company’s namesake as the Dake brothers purchased the dairy and ice cream plant from Donald Stewart in 1945, and kept the name. At the front of the dairy plant was a small store that became the first Stewart’s Ice Cream Shop.
The ice cream shop evolved into a Stewart’s Soup and Sandwich Shop with booths and waitresses. It was heavily damaged by a fire in 1984, which lead to its demolition. A new Stewart’s Bread and Butter store was constructed the following year, focusing on groceries like milk and bread, as well as ice cream. Now, another 30 years later, the shop continues to thrive and we look to expand our food service.
The new shop will be an increase of about 1,500 square feet, with a wider variety of Easy Food items including fresh made pizza and subs. A larger footprint also provides more seating, a walk-in cooler called a beer cave, and two bathrooms. Outside, a larger parking lot will pave the way for two more fueling points than the current store (6 total) and include diesel. The plan for the new shop was approved by the Town of Ballston Planning Board. Construction is anticipated for 2016.